Friday, December 27, 2013

NOVEMBER 30, 2013
I'm very careful about eating street food when I travel. The usual concerns about parasites, poor sanitation, unhygienic preparation and storage, etc., limits my sense of adventure. But there are certain things that I can't wait to buy on the street when I travel to Ghana. The best place to buy street food is where other Ghanaians are gathered, where they meet and where they do business. Vendors are stationed in the markets, on the street and at Tro Tro and taxi stands. 

I think my absolute fave has got to be fresh young coconut! Of course in nothing is more refreshing when you're walking around under the hot sun. The coconut water is so good it is almost medicinal to me. :-) In fact, when I contracted malaria, it was the one thing that Ghanaians kept telling me to put in my system. And the tender meat of the young coconut is slimy/sweet and nutritious.




When I land in Ghana, I look forward to the hard boiled eggs arranged in round trays and toted on the heads of young girls. I purchase 4 at a time! They will peel the eggs on the spot and if you like, they will expertly slice into the egg and put a spoonful of thick chili paste in a neat pocket through the white and the yoke. I am not going to lie! I get excited when I see the vendors carrying eggs in the market or at a check point! I didg in my pocket and try to get the Ghana peswa (about $0.25 USD) in their hands and the egg in mine before the bus takes off!


Another favorite, kelewele, is a sweet snack of ripe plaintain sliced and tossed in hot pepper, ginger and other spices, then fried until the sugar in the plantain carmalizes.





I look forward to indulging my craving for kyinkyinka, Ghanaian meat kebobs. My fave is the chicken gizzard kebab, but one can buy beef or goat as well. Kyinkyinka is spicy, seasoned with peppers, dusted in peanut flour, then grilled open air over charcoal. As street food goes, I would say kyinkyinka is a safe bet given that it is cooked over hot coals right on the spot. And it usually only costs $1GHC, about $.50USD.




Ok boy... Let us chop! ( let us eat!)

No comments:

Post a Comment